Who gets to be a Host?
Tournaments are very special events where a Talented creator will be chosen to host it. The player will be asked to create a level with very specific needs. These levels are very different from the normal Adventure and racing levels and must adhere by different rules.
These creators are chosen by us at Traplight. These are the ways that you might be chosen for Hosting a Tournament:
- Us at Traplight contacted you directly because we saw your amazing skills.
- We hosted a Level Creation Competition (LCC) and you earned your spot as a Host.
- Other players nominated you on our Discord channel and we chose you.
Once you have been chosen:
These are the things that you need to follow when creating your Tournament level:
- Make it long! Average time to finish should be no less than 60 seconds. Your own fastest time must be at least 40 seconds. Always account for acts of randomness that might get one player to skip time and reach the goal earlier.
- Make it FLOW! Smooth ride is awesome.
- Give plenty of spots for players to use Nitros. Let them decide which is the optimal place to use it.
- Different paths are always fun, but don't create shortcuts!! Players miss half of your hard work on the level, and Racers really hate them.
- Action packed! Tournaments should be fun to play...
- But don't kill your players! There is nothing more frustrating than having the perfect run, only to accidentally die at the end.
- Players will use an exact copy of your vehicle, so don't worry about CC's.
- Make it awesome to look at! But don't go overboard with material textures or filling the complexity meter. Some players will lag if the level is too complex. Not everyone has a great phone after all ;)
- Test test test, and test again! Make it the best level you have ever made. Take your time.
- Never user editor items that stop the flow (Gears, elevators, etc) If the item will remove whatever advantage a racer had, it does not belong in a Tournament (or Race level for that matter)
- Making shortcuts can mean players won't see a large percentage of the level. Place them wisely.
- When the Tournament begins, don't use the fastest path yourself. Others will be able to watch the replay and see where you drive from and miss the rest of the level.
- Try to avoid Portals if you can. They are quite buggy on replays.
A tournament level will showcase your awesome Level Creating skills to the world. Have your Youtube link ready before the tournament starts.
Tournaments begin on Fridays and are shown to the players on Wednesdays. This means that we need to have your level's URL on Monday of that week at the latest. If you can, send it before, so we can review it and give feedback with more time.
It's the easiest to communicate with you through Discord, but email or other agreed method is fine as well.
(For a list of Past and Future Tournaments, check this article here.)